People always ask me…how do you run a business from home with a baby? How did you build a successful business while being a stay-at-home mom? The short answer is — with help.
I had been working in the online space for about three years by the time I had my daughter. I was making consistent income (roughly $1500/month), which was great, but I knew I wanted more. When she was six weeks old, I went back to work (still working part-time for an agency, as well as serving a handful of my own clients).
That’s when things really started to change. Also, when I say that “I went back to work,” I mean I went back to “working” at home, while taking lots of breaks to breastfeed my baby.
The Number One Thing: Get a Team
The number one thing that allowed me to go back to work was hiring help. I started small: two hours a few times a week. The rest of the time, I would answer emails while she was sleeping (which was rare and very inconsistent). Over time, I slowly started to increase the number of hours of childcare. The more money I brought in, the more I would allocate to my nanny. My nanny was my first official team member in my business, and to this day, that role is hands-down, the most important.
You have to invest in order to grow. I chose to invest in help and it was the smartest decision I ever made.
By six months of motherhood, I had fully transitioned into growing my own business and I was full steam ahead, despite moving across the country for my husband’s career! By month nine, I had decided to invest again, this time in an OBM certification.
By twelve months, I had hired a business coach and was fully focused on growth. Oh, and of course, the first thing I did when we settled in our new home was finding another nanny. No business growth without help, remember?
By eighteen months of motherhood, I was making consistent 5K months and scaling. I had hired a VA to help me with systems, especially tech, and I was finally growing my roster with dream clients.
Fast forward to today…I have a team of over seven amazing women from all around the world (including, of course, my nanny) and I am making consistent five-figure months and beyond.
Secrets to Success
What are my secrets to building a successful business, while also being a mom?
- Invest in your business by hiring help. Start small. Set aside a portion of each invoice for “team” so that you can continue to increase the amount of time with childcare.
- Set boundaries and reasonable expectations for yourself and for your clients.
- Create systems in your business so that you can easily outsource and build your team as you grow.
- Batch your content. You don’t need to do a new social post every single day. Batch them and schedule.
- Be intentional with your time. Consider time blocking, which is one of my favorite time management hacks.
- Invest in your growth. Seek out training, coaching, etc. that will help you get to the next level with your business goals. Want to chat about coaching and find out if it’s right for you? Let’s hop on a quick call.
And! If you find yourself wanting more tips, grab a spot in the UpLevel Lounge!